Title: Horticulturist (Advanced Gardener)
Department: Fullerton Arboretum
Reports to: Living Collections Curator
Hours: Full-Time (Occasional Weekend and Holidays when Required)
Salary Range: $16.00 - $19.00 per hour
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Under the general direction of the Living Collections Curator of the Fullerton Arboretum, the Horticulturist will assist in the care and maintenance of the Fullerton Arboretum's 26 acres of plant collections.
- Planting, watering, mulching, weeding, pruning, and fertilizing of plants and landscape features; applies pesticides and herbicides as needed.
- Installation and maintenance of irrigation systems
- Assist in botanical collections record-keeping
- Assist in developing plant lists for augmenting and updating garden areas.
- Works with volunteers as necessary or as required.
- Interprets botanical and horticultural subjects to general public.
- Repairs decomposed granite paths where necessary.
- Assists with propagation or plane sale events.
- Assist in turf maintenance.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Strong knowledge of plants; ability to learn plants and their horticultural requirements.
- Ability to safely and competently work with and operate hand and power tools, garden vehicles, and tractor.
- Experience with, or ability to learn and use, Hunter and Rainbird control systems.
- Ability to work independently and in terms.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Valid driver's license is required.
- Obtain a California Pesticide Applicator's license within six month of hire.
- A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the ASC. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current ASSC employees who apply for the position.
College degree in horticulture or four (4) years equivalent work experience.
- Must be able to withstand long periods of bending, walking on uneven gravel.
- Must be able to work outdoors, in a dusty environment prone to temperature variations, and inclement weather.
Health, dental, vision, life/AD&D, health care flex plan, LTD, vacation, sick leave, holiday, credit union, tuition reimbursement and retirement plan. All benefits will be administered according to policies and/or procedures.
To be considered an applicant; you must apply through our online applicant portal found on the following site: http://asc1app.fullerton.edu/finance/applicant/public/default.aspx.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Human Resources Representative at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CSU Fullerton Auxiliary Services Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.